Friday, June 13, 2008

Free Hugs

A Time For Everything
1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.
~Ecclesiastes 3

I have had a lot going on in the past few weeks. In this, I have had to rely on support from family and friends to keep my mind off of certain things. For those of you who don't know that you are helping me... thanks.

One of my favorite things lately, is the random video clips that people send me (thanks Craig-- by the way, you have beautiful eyes!!). I find a plethora of ways to waste time at work, these days. One of my new favorite ways is by watching YouTube videos.

I'm a hugger. I know, thanks for pointing out the obvious, Kerry. I came across the Free Hug Campaign videos on YouTube. There are dozens of them... I challenge anyone to watch one of these and not smile. I literally get goosebumps whenever I watch them. They are so great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD6o49Uqv10&feature=related This is just one of many of the campaigns (this one takes place in NYC). As a self-confessed hugger, I have joined the Free Hug Campaign (check out their website) http://www.freehugscampaign.org/.

So, now I have to confess. I name different kinds of hugs after different people. Yeah, you probably have a hug named after you. Here they are:

"The Susan"-- starts and ends with humming. One of the more lovely and endearing hugs.
"The Alicia"-- full body contact, hands don't actually wrap around your body, just land on your shoulders.
"The Sara" aka "I don't want my boobs to touch your boobs"-- involves just shoulders and arms that barely touch you, with a random back pat from just one hand.
"The Matty Brown" --approaches the hug with a big smile and gives full body contact-- one of my favorite hugs.
"The Erin Brown" --approaches the hug with arms open and ready for embrace, usually is a prolonged hug, which shows you really mean it.
"The Craig" aka "the tall guy hug"-- your hugging victim is much taller than you are and you end up in a lop-sided hugging concoction.
"The Todd" aka "the side hug"-- said person comes close to your side and hugs you with a firm grip, but only making contact with your hip and side of your body.
"The Mom" -- a unusually long hug that generally ends up in tears. This is worse after long periods of time of not visiting.
"The Super-Skinny Girl Hug"-- where you love the person but you are afraid that your hug may actually crush their bones, leaving them in a much loved heap on the floor.
"The Little Kid" -- involves full body contact on the part of the kid, and only your legs.
"The Elaine" (can only be given by Elaine Bayless, or others with long appendages)-- arms are actually wrapped around you twice. You think that this is cool and freaky at the same time. (Love you.)
"The Weird Girl Hug"-- (not the girl, the hug) said girl attempts "The Todd" but fails.
"The Guy Hug" (a classic in the world of hugs)-- starts as a handshake, but turns into a half hug/half handshake with a back pat.
"The Couple Hug"-- ends in a pat on the butt and is somewhat nauseating to watch.
"The New Friend Hug"-- you are not sure if there should be a hug, but then again... why not??

I believe that as a general rule, not all hugs are fitted for all people. But, as a hugging-junkie, I will manage to make most/if not all of these hugs suit me.


Thanks for the hugs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hugging is fun. You've done a wonderful job of capturing the essence of good hugs...and weird hugs...and hugs that mean something...and hugs that mean nothing. If you could, next time please address "the hugging disease." God knows it's something that never gets the attention it deserves. Thank you.