Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Super Heroes of Prayer

I have this amazing group of women that I call "The Super Heroes of Prayer". I know that at a moments notice, I can call any one of these gals and they will drop what they are doing and pray with me or for me. I keep a list of them at my desk at work and email them about once a week. When I am feeling particularly snarky, I like to picture them flying in the air wearing fitted Superman-like outfits, but with cooler colors... they would have a cross on their chests with a big "P" over it and flowers in their hair.

2 Chronicles 6:40 "Now, my God, may your eyes be open and your ears attentive
to the prayers offered in this place.

Psalm 54:2 Hear my prayer, O God; listen to the words of my mouth.

Psalm 86:6 Hear my prayer, O LORD; listen to my cry for mercy.

James 5:13Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy?
Let him sing songs of praise.

I truly consider these women my sisters. They have laughed and cried with me, and I with them. I don't know if I can ever let them know how much this truly means to me. I am in constant awe of these women, of their faith and their relationships with God. I try really hard not to compare myself with them. I try not to compare my journey with God with theirs, realizing that their journeys are so different than mine.

I hang my head, in shame, when I think of them knowing me even five years ago, as I was a completely different person before I became a believer. I was angry, depressed, promiscuous, full of despise for those different than me, and full of fear of others looking down their noses at me. I have this deep-seated fear that if they knew me in my "previous life", before I became a believer, that they would judge me, or feel that I am not fit to be around their kids.

Thank you ladies, for accepting me with open arms, hearts, souls, and spirits. Thank you for making me a part of your lives.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

If you had known me 8 years ago you wouldn't have liked me AT ALL. I'd tell you to ask somebody, but there's no one in Raleigh who knew me 8 years ago, and that's no coincidence.