Thursday, May 15, 2008

Cookies Anyone??




I saw the greatest thing this morning on my way to work. I was driving on Glenwood Ave., in my bad mood that I haven't been able to get rid of for the past three days. I stopped at the traffic light right before the on-ramp for the beltline. Two cars ahead of me I see a woman's flailing arm sticking out of the driver's side window, waving erratically. Then I see a man, probably in his mid to late 50's get out of the car in front of her and run over to her car. He stuck his head in her driver's side window, I assume to give her a kiss, and then ran back to his car. It was raining pretty heavily when this happened. I have been smiling ever since.

I do this thing after I have had a really good day. I pick up a white rock, or shell... depending on where I am. I have been doing this since I was a kid. I used to have a vase at home with random rocks and shells that was full. I finally had to get rid of some of them, but I have managed to save some. Erin (who no longer wants to be called Lil'EB) and I took our random trip to Wilmington after our planned trip to Asheville. It was a great day. I have some kind of shell/rock thing from that day, which I keep on my desk at work to remind me that more good days are coming and more rock/shell things are out there to be collected.

So, I decided that in order to get rid of my foul mood that I need to make a list of all of the good things going on/things that make me happy, that I would want to find white rocks for.

~I made some kickass hummus the other night, yay me.
~I have been bonding with friends at work over the vegan thing.
~My niece is visiting next week, with my brother and sister-in-law.
~I got an email from Craig this morning that almost made me laugh so hard I almost cried.
~Got to meet Elaine, Dale, and Eric last night at New World... and I got hugs.
~Future travels with Erin for shows in Tennessee and Asheville, where I will get to see Bon and Sophie.
~My friends love me and took care of me at the Greenhouse the other day.
~Farmer's market produce shopping next weekend with Erin.
~My theology lessons on Elaine's backporch have been promising, yet full of emotion.
~Watching the random successes that are going on in my friend's lives. I'm happy for them.

I have become completely restless. Next year seems so far away, but it really isn't and I have so much to do in very little time. I have to make plans for future travels. This is hard when money is tight. How many more friggin' jobs do I have to get? Talks with Oasis folks have come to a halt for now, not sure why. So, for now, I still don't know where I am going. I definitely have to get the ball rolling again on this. I am so glad that I have given up on "settling", it changes my entire perspective on life.

Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Ghandi

On another note, Elaine bought me this great Bible study book called "Solo"... I have really been enjoying it. It's like the kindergartner's guide to Bible study.
I couldn't find any song lyrics that I liked for this blog... so instead, here is a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies!!!

INGREDIENTS:
2 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup margarine (make sure it's vegan!)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Ener-G Egg Replacer for 1 egg
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl and set aside.
In a separate large bowl, beat together the margarine, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and egg replacer.

Add the dry ingredients to this and stir until combined well.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Drop one inch spoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until edges are golden brown.


2 comments:

Elaine said...

That book is not kindergarten level! It's just understandable. Seriously, that book teaches you Lectio Divina, which is a spiritual discipline that has been practiced for centuries, mostly by monks and nuns. It's hard core. And I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I kind of thought it would be right up your alley.

Kerry said...

I just figured that if I could understand it that it was kindergarten level.