Monday, May 19, 2008

Heaven and Hell... As I See It.

Elaine and Alicia have been asking me why I don't want to talk about Heaven and Hell. While I put this subject in the same category of things that make me uncomfortable, along with "sin", money, being "saved" and "rebirth", the subject of Heaven and Hell probably makes me more uncomfortable than the rest of these subjects.

Hmm. I have issues with Heaven and Hell. I am not sure that I believe in either of these places. I am not sure that I have to believe in either of these places.

heav·en
~The sky or universe as seen from the earth; the firmament. Often used in the plural.
~The abode of God, the angels, and the souls of those who are granted salvation. (Believed by Christians)
~An eternal state of communion with God; everlasting bliss.
~Used in various phrases to express surprise: "Good heavens!"
~Any of the places in or beyond the sky conceived of as domains of divine beings in various religions.
~The celestial powers; the gods.
~A condition or place of great happiness, delight, or pleasure (Believed by me)

hell (there are over 20 definitions)
~the place or state of punishment of the wicked after death; the abode of evil and condemned spirits (Believed by Christians)
~any place or state of torment or misery (Believed by me)
~something that causes torment or misery: Having that cut stitched without anesthesia was hell. ~the powers of evil.
~the abode of the dead; Sheol or Hades.
~extreme disorder or confusion; chaos: "The children let both dogs into the house, and all hell broke loose."
~a receptacle into which a tailor throws scraps.
~the utterance of “hell” in swearing or for emphasis: "What the hell?"

I have been asked on several occasions what I picture when I think of Heaven and Hell. Okay, I will tell you. Heaven--the Philadelphia Cream Cheese commercial or the Heaven from the movie "What Dreams May Come". Hell-- have you seen the South Park movie??

I think that as a former atheist/agnostic I have a hard time grasping the concept of there being an afterlife, good or bad. I want good things to happen to my soul after I die, but Heaven? Hell? I don't know about either of these places.
And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.
And she's buying the stairway to heaven.
~Led Zeppelin

No comments: